We are wrapping up our second unit in concept 2, ” the lion, the witch and the wardrobe ” together with ” the Power of people ” for the social studies.
At the beginning I thought this unit for the social studies would rather be a bit dry and boring but it turns out, it was really fun. We had a lot of great links for YouTube that were already given through MBTP and I also supplemented with a few extra work pages and links I had found. I believe the library will also still come in handy in the next few days.
Last night I found several great links I would like to share for this unit. I made the list of people we will have to research for the next few days, some people from world history and quite a few from American history…
The first link gets you to a fun print out, for several historic people. I ended up clearing a wall in our “adventure room” for all the civil rights activists…
- http://www.ducksters.com/ a wonderful page to do research for kids. I ended up printing out a lot of biographies we needed for several people like Frederick Douglass. They are relatively short and easy to understand.
- https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREEBIE-Frederick-Douglass-Reading-Passage-1696267 another free print out that was perfect to learn about Frederick Douglass and also hang a short Biography on our wall.
- This is one of the videos we watched on YouTube about Mr.Douglass
- For Rosa Parks we found several pages on pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=rosa%20parks%20freebie&term_meta%5B%5D=rosa%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=parks%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=freebie%7Ctyped
- we also watched a great video about the Rosa Parks museum
- then we talked about Cesar Chavez . Again a great freebie is found here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257338566184019900/
- and here http://www.education.com/files/303201_303300/303257/cesar-chavez-worksheet.pdf
- a good video on YouTube
- and here
Here is a picture of the first part of our civil rights leader wall 🙂
Tomorrow we will be adding a few more t the wall 🙂